For Veganuary 2021 Domino’s added even more vegan options and it’s no understatement to say we were overjoyed. The original vegan pizza line up included the Vegan Margherita and the Vegan Vegi Surpreme. A Vegan Garlic and Herb Dip and Potato Wedges were also optional additions.
However, now we have the new Chick-Ain’t pizza, Vegan Nuggets and the expansion of the original vegan pizza range to include Classic Crust or Italian Style. Originally only the Classic Crust in Medium was available. But large pizza fans, have no fear. The addition of the Italian Style means we can have large vegan pizzas now!
Domino’s ‘The Chick-Ain’t’ Pizza OVERALL SCORE: ★★★★☆
We were big fans of this one. We couldn’t recommend it more.
THE GOOD BITS
As self-confessed Domino’s addicts, it’s hard to be objective here but we’ll try our best.
- It is just like a classic Domino’s. If you were fans of Domino’s pizzas before going vegan then you won’t be disappointed.
- The texture is great – the base was both soft but had substance to it. The texture of the Chick-Ain’t pieces was just as you’d expect of any chicken substitute and the cheese adds a layer of luxury without sticking to your teeth too much or becoming overpowering (like we’ve found with Pizza Hut’s vegan pizzas)
- It tastes just as you’d want a takeaway pizza – the Chick-Ain’t has a hint of BBQ about it but isn’t overpowering.
- It’s easy to order, quick to pick up and they now have lots of additional extras to add to your order!
THE BAD BITS
I mean we really had to look for the bad bits here and I wouldn’t let them put you off!
- One of our main gripes with Domino’s is the price – £19.99 is a lot of money to pay for one pizza even with voucher codes, it can be hard to justify when you can buy vegan pizzas for a quarter of the price (or less) at a supermarket, or make your own for even less.
- Although it might be fun to have a meat substitute, we didn’t feel like it added much. It promised a lot but didn’t quite deliver the excitement we were expecting.
- It’s perfect for what it is – a takeaway pizza. But it will never compete with a wood-fired delight from a local pizzeria.
- We’ve found Domino’s can be quite inconsistent – if you end up with too much cheese, you might find it sticking to your teeth!
FINAL THOUGHTS ON Domino’s ‘The Chick-Ain’t’ Pizza
If you’re in need of a classic dirty takeaway pizza, then Domino’s is the one for us. We’ve found it much nicer than both Papa John’s and Pizza Hut who both struggle with the cheese element (either too sticky or too strong). Just make sure you’ve got a voucher code under your belt.
Love Vegan Snacks?
Snacks like this is why we created Vegan Junk Box – the vegan snack subscription box dedicated to finding the tastiest, dirtiest, most joyful vegan snacks the world has to offer. All taste-tested so you don’t have to.
Get 20% off your first Vegan Junk Box with code: JUNKBOX20.
NUTRITIONALLY VACANT STATEMENT
Warning! Junk food may be nutritionally vacant. Eat your greens. Reds, oranges and purples too. Oh, and do some exercise. All we know is that we’d rather have one chocolate bar a week and REALLY enjoy it, than munch on some dusty old cr*p masquerading as a “treat”. Live a little! Just not too much…